Screen play- A happy ending

 


INT. GROCERY STORE – DAY

Rachel is in grocery store buying produce by her mother’s request, she tussles with the cashier over the price of the item she is buying.

RACHEL

(Presents onion to cashier)

Wait, excuse me! I just wanted to know how much this is

CASHIER

(Grabs onion and rings it up)

Uhm. Sure, let me grab that off you

It’s 1.07

RACHEL

 Can you spare 7 cents, I only have a dollar

CASHIER

That’s too bad, go down to a farmers’ market, it’s probably cheaper

RACHEL

Are you kidding me, the only farmers market in the area is 6 miles from here

You can’t give me a discount or something

CASHIER

Listen kid, my job is to ring up items, take the money and give costumers their food. I’m not a salvation army, either pay full price or get out.

RACHEL

(Starts towards the exit)

Whatever, it’s just an onion anyway

                                                     Match Cut

INT. RACHELS HOME – NIGHT

Rachel gets home late and doesn’t even come with what her mom asks for. The two of them get into an argument.

MOM

(Jumps off couch when Rachel walks in)

Rachel, where have you been? I’ve been worried sick

RACHEL

No, you haven’t, you would’ve called

MOM

Whatever, where have you been

RACHEL

Well, I went to Publix to get the onion, but the guy wouldn’t let me, so I walked 6 miles to the farmers market, but they were out-

MOM

(Cuts Rachel off)

Wait, so where’s the onion?

RACHEL

If you had let me finish, you’d know that I couldn’t find one. Here’s your dollar

MOM

(Snatches the dollar from Rachel)

You need to get your act together. I asked you for one thing

(Rachel starts walking to her room)

Where are you going, I’m talking to you

RACHEL

(Entering her room)

Don’t you get tired of yelling? I haven’t been home for 3 minutes and you’re screaming.

(Tries to close door)

MOM

(Stops the door)

You don’t pay bills, don’t close any doors in my house. You keep forgetting that you’re the child and I’m the adult.

RACHEL

So, you want to take it to these extremes over an onion? You are unbelievable. I couldn’t get you out my life if I tried, so just get out of my face.

(Slams the door and locks it, while mom yells from the other side. She kicks a few things around in frustration and starts pulling on her hair. Eventually she sits down, picks up the phone and calls her boyfriend)

BOYFRIEND

(Phone rings for a bit)

Hey, what’s up?

RACHEL

Nothing, just my mom. She is being annoying right now. But can we hang out tomorrow, I don’t really want to be here.

BOYFRIEND

Yeah, sure. But I’m going to have to call you back. The boys are coming over right now. Be ready by 10 A.m. tomorrow.

(Hangs up immediately)

RACHEL

Are you serious?

(She calls her friend)

MARLEY

Hey girlie, what’s going on?

RACHEL

My mom is really pissing me off, and my boyfriend is a douchebag.

MARLEY

Don’t pay that boy any mind, he is always being dumb. But what’s going on with your mom, I thought you guys talked out your issues.

RACHEL

(Chuckles a little bit)

Marles, when does she ever change. She has been thinking about herself for years now. You think I can change that. I just got to find a job and start doing things for myself.

MARLEY

(scoffs)

Rachel you can’t keep think about that, that is your mother. She needs you just as much as you need her.

RACHEL

I do not need her, and you have no right to talk to me like you know what I’m going through. You have it good, so just agree with me and keep it pushing.

MARLEY

(Clearly upset)

I don’t know what you’re talking about but that was disrespectful. You may be going through it, but that doesn’t give you the right to be a bully/ Hopefully you can figure it out with your mom, and you get the happy ending you’re looking for, but don’t disrespect me looking for it.

(Hangs up)

RACHEL

What is up with everyone today?

(She starts to play music and clean up her room. Reflecting on what her friend told her. Eventually she finishes cleaning and gets ready to take a shower and go to bed.)

                                                    Dissolve

INT. RACHELS HOUSE/KITCHEN – DAY

Rachel is getting ready for her boyfriend to get her. She goes in the kitchen for breakfast and her family is out there. Her mom starts being rude

MOM

Why are you all dressed up? Where are you going?

RACHEL

(Pouring cereal)

To hang out. I won’t be out too late but-

MOM

(Cuts her off)

I don’t care how late you are out, just don’t come in here smelling like any alcohol or drugs.

RACHEL

(Starts walking towards phone because it’s ringing)

Why would I be doing drugs?

Hello

MOM

(Starts talking louder on purpose)

Cause you’re a miserable brat.

RACHEL

(Rolls her eyes)

Yeah, I’ll come outside right now.

                                                 Wipe

EXT. BY THE BOYFRIEND’S CAR – DAY

 Rachel gets dumped by her boyfriend. So, she goes to her friend for support.

RACHEL

(Runs towards her boyfriends, and leans in for a kiss)

Hey pookie, you ready to go?

BOYFRIEND

(Leans away from the kiss)

Actually, we need to talk about something. I need to take a break from this relationship.

RACHEL

(Starts grabbing his arm)

Wait, you don’t mean that. Seriously, this isn’t the time for jokes

BOYFRIEND

(Gets a phone call and starts walking away)

Listen we can have a real conversation about this later, but I really must go.

 

RACHEL

(Rachell calls Marley after her boyfriend pulls off and she ask her if they can meet up somewhere to talk later.)

                                                    Dissolve

EXT. AT A PARK – NIGHT/EVENING

 Rachel meets Marley at a park, and they have a very heartbreaking conversation that ends in some terrible news.

MARLEY

(Stands up and hugs Rachel)

Hey, what’s going on? Are you crying?

RACHEL

(Wipes tears)

Yeah, I’ve had like a really bad day.

(Marley starts to speak but gets cut off)

I just feel like everything has been going downhill as of recently, my mom has been just a pain, she is constantly yelling at me. She literally never takes my feelings into consideration. My freaking boyfriend broke up with me today and I’m not sure why, and anytime I bring something up to you, you’ve been pushing it to the side like my feelings don’t matter.

MARLEY

(Feeling disrespected)

Bro are you serious, all you do is talk about yourself. You haven’t once asked me what was going on in my life at all, you have no idea what anyone else is going through. That’s why (boyfriend) has been calling and talking about his problems. Am I supposed to be everyone’s therapist.

RACHEL

(She looks shocked)

Wha-

MARLEY
(still going)

You’re honestly a terrible friend and I’m tired-

RACHEL

(Gets a phone call and Marley’s voice starts fading out)

Hello?

SPEAKER

Hi, is this Marley Robbins?

RACHEL

Y-y-yes?

SPEAKER

I’m sorry to inform you of this but your mother has passed away from a heart attack

(Rachel drops the phone from her ear)

MARLEY

Are you even listening?

RACHEL

(Starts shaking)

My mom just died

MARLEY

Well, what do you know, you got your Happy Ending

(Marley walks away and Rachel sits on the floor crying. The scene fades out into black.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Struggle of Editing

Genre Research- Drama